First time here? Before you go on -> Read Me <- please read this. Thanx!

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

(*) Mal's Own Wyreema

For the very first time in my life, I actually own my own boat! Let me introduce you to the Wyreema, the next in a long line of small sailing boats called this - my dad named most of his boats this for years and years. It was totally natural that I call it "Wyreema" without hesitation! I am like sooo excited!
It cost me a total of $757 - thank you mum and dad. It comes with a fully registered trailer to boot. It's a 'Solo' class, a small single handed dinghy that'll be perfect to sail around the freshwater lakes around here. It's very light, 3.78m/12' 5" long, fibreglass, easy to rig and sail, and easy to maintain too. Hey, I've been wanting to do this ever since I moved out here like 10 years' ago! This is really exciting for me - like really! Plus eventually I'll be able to introduce the boys to sailing too (once M gets the hang of the thought) - there's a special sailing club especially to introduce children to sailing out here - how cool is that? So, it's another opportunity to actually build an ongoing rapport with the boys - share my love of sailing with them.

Hey, it's a bit of a change from the last type of boast I used to sail - 16-foot Skiffs in and around Sydney Harbour!

It's an absolute spin out to own a boat of my very own... all the boats I've ever sailed were either my dad's or belonged to someone else! I can't wait for the season to start in September now, out at the Carcoar Sailing Club. I've met two of the locals from the club already, and I'm planning to go to a working bee at the clubhouse beside the lake on Sunday - a chance to meet some of the other sailors as well.

Stop Press: Here's the new addie for the Wyreema webpage! http://clik.to/wyreema

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

On August 17, 2005 4:22 PM, Blogger ♥Caroline♥ said...

way to go mal!!! nothing like being by the water. The boys will probably love it as much as you do.

 
On August 17, 2005 4:27 PM, Blogger Alice said...

Hey Mal,

Congratulations! I am so happy for you. Enjoy!
Love,

Alice.

 
On August 17, 2005 5:36 PM, Blogger Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Wonderful to read of a dream come true!

 
On August 17, 2005 7:58 PM, Blogger Mallard said...

Thank you, ladies. Yes, the excitement hasn't worn off yet. If things work out this way, I might be able to at least 'christen' it on Sunday... using a beer rather than champagne tho! lol

 
On August 17, 2005 11:48 PM, Blogger gammamoma said...

Congratulations Mal! I've never sailed before, but I know you and your boys will have a blast doing it together! May the wind be in your sails always!

 

Post a Comment

<< RETURN HOME to the CURRENT POSTS


Blog of Mallard the Malster - some of my Thoughts, Ideas, Comments, Observations, Editorials, Musings, Rantings, Ravings and Current Objective Critical Relative Subjectivism of Maljam the Loopey Mallard 

Message Board Banner

face