First time here? Before you go on -> Read Me <- please read this. Thanx!

Friday, June 03, 2005

(*) Image invoked

Broomhilda noted the other day that one thing I'm a bit 'afraid' of is... manhole covers! What the...? Yes, it's true. And, as I thought about it (at like 2am the other morning... groan!), I remembered why, in the back of my mind, manhole covers and I usually keep a polite distance.

About 5+ years' ago, I had a very vivid dream - it didn't mean anything, as such - but very memorably vivid that stuck in my mind all the same. My son Seb was aged about 2, and the two of us were walking along the footpath outside a large club here in town. As we went to climb over a freshly-dug garden bed (just thick black soil), Sebbie suddenly sunk down into it, as he stepped onto the edge. (It was one of those dreams where reality isn't quite true-to-life as to location... there's no garden beds at that spot... I know - I've walked past it quite a few times! lol). I grabbed him and tossed him free and safe from the sinking soil underneath him, when I suddenly totally sunk up over my head under the same soil. I sunk straight down like in water with my extra bodyweight. It was very quiet and still under the ground, realising I was buried alive and could do nothing about it, but I knew that Sebbie was quite safe (a huge sense of relief!) - but he had no idea what had happened to me. I was able to stand there upright, buried alive (as such) and realise that no-one would ever know what had happened to me, as I was totally covered in soil, and Sebbie would have been too young to tell anyone what had happened! Then the dream ended.

Like I said, even after all this time, I can still easily describe the details of the dream - it's a vivid memory. At the time - and even now - I know it didn't 'mean' anything, but the image invoked quite a strong feeling within me. I guess in my subconscious the 'manhole cover' is like that freshly-dug soil of a garden bed, and I just casually walk around them, rather than over them. Of course I do walk over them - and I know they aint gonna swallow me up or anything like that! I guess it's just become a subconscious habit to walk around rather than over them nowadays. Silly, isn't it? It's not a major phobia or anything like that, just one of those silly little things we catch ourselves doing sometimes, without stopping to think 'why do I do that?'

I wonder how many of us have little things like that we do without even realise we're doing them? They're not things that majorly disable ourselves or our daily lives, but just silly little things we sometimes catch ourselves doing. Hmmm... well, that's enough of the psychological examination for today... I'll just pull myself up from the nice comfy leather recliner here in this wood panelled office... can I have a lollypop now, Doctor? lol.

I'm thinking of finishing studying for second semester this year, but with a different course - same focus, different outcome. Certificate IV in Workplace Training and Assessment - here's the details of it. I'm waiting until mum's first bit of her estate comes thru in a few weeks before I consider enrolling tho. It's a thought...

We've had some pretty cool nights recently - it was as low as - 5c this week (yes, that's not a typo - minus five!) Coldest in the State this week, apparently. I love this time of year here, tho. Getting out of bed's a bit of a challenge when you hear temperatures like that tho, first thing in the morning! The doona's are warm and snuggly and hard to disengage your entanglements from. Still no rain in sight... and water levels are dropping, dropping, dropping - 4th year of drought for us out here. I'm spoilt living in town as far as water's concerned... at least the boy's 2 huge water storage tanks are almost full, and their main property dam is about half full, JD told me the other night. That's not too bad.

I've stumbled across and been introduced to some new blogs just recently. Let me invite you to check them out at your leisure... listed in no specific order, either:

Thanx so very muchly to the gracious Third Daughter for showing me the simplicity of the wonderful Button Maker - for free you can make little buttons like these for your blog/website/forums: ping bp etc etc. Thank you!

So, have you seen the new Bogan Welfare Barbie yet? And also the latest in canine fashions?
You know, I told him to slow down! But - did he ever listen to me...? NO!!!

6 Comments:

On June 03, 2005 9:04 PM, Blogger 3rd daughter said...

the fact that the button maker is so easy (and fun) is the reason my blog is so buttoned up :) enjoy :)

 
On June 05, 2005 2:01 PM, Blogger ♥Caroline♥ said...

I find it very interesting what the subconcious mind does. What dreams can interpret in another way. Sylvia Browne has a book about some dreams she had helped with. I found it interesting.

 
On June 05, 2005 3:37 PM, Blogger Raehan said...

Hi Mal. Thanks for the mention. Interesting dream.

 
On June 07, 2005 1:38 AM, Blogger Mallard said...

Dreams are the window into the subconscious, or something? gesus - I'm a mess, then! pmsl!
Cyalayta
Mal :o)

 
On June 07, 2005 11:39 PM, Blogger broomhilda said...

If I can be terrified of spiders, you can be scared of manhole covers. Here is a piece of cake for you, I made it myself.

 
On June 08, 2005 12:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cake? Is that a ROUND cake?!? OMG! It looks just like a... a.. manhole cover! Aaaarrgghhhh!!!! (Just kidding!!!)
Yummy cake... mmmm.... oh bugger... ummm... how do you get crumbs out from under your spacebar...? lol
Cyalayta
Mal :o)

 

Post a Comment

<< RETURN HOME to the CURRENT POSTS


Blog of Mallard the Malster - some of my Thoughts, Ideas, Comments, Observations, Editorials, Musings, Rantings, Ravings and Current Objective Critical Relative Subjectivism of Maljam the Loopey Mallard 

Message Board Banner

face